Michael van de Wiel has also built a software distribution business, which sold, supported and maintained US/UK sourced software products in the Australian marketplace. This took 5 years to build into a 12 person, $3M revenue business. After 5 years it was sold back to the software company, which took over Australian distribution.
More recently, as a business angel, Michael van de Wiel has coached and mentored, among others:
- the 2 partners in an education & training brokerage business;
- the entrepreneurial CEO of a start-up software business;
- the CEO of a publicly listed company to evaluate and reconsider his career objectives;
- the senior management team, including the CEO, of a not for profit IT support organisation. This involved facilitating strategy development sessions, as well as regular 1:1 coaching of all the managers;
- Young people who were taking part in a community based small business development learning program;
- Advising and mentoring a variety of small business owners;
Michael van de Wiel has also provided management consulting advice in a variety of situations:
- Evaluated the systems and organisation for an elite investment research company, and provided practical strategic and tactical advice on structural and systems improvements;
- Assessed the IT systems and IT support infrastructure for a $3B funds management business, recommended significant strategic improvements and chaired a committee to implement those recommendations.
- Negotiated and implemented a merger; developed and implemented a new organisation structure more suited to international growth; developed a practice management growth strategy at a publicly listed company.
After gaining a BSc in mathematics and physics at Melbourne University, Michael van de Wiel started his career in IT with IBM and worked for various IT companies in Australia and Europe before starting his own IT consulting company in the early 1980’s.